Tuesday 5 May 2015

Visual Diagram


My visual diagram displays some stupid sexy superheroes somewhat as a satirisation of the sexualisation of women in geek culture. I wanted to take the idea of making something sexy and just warping it out of all control, making it so overt and in your face that it ceases to have sexual appeal and thus subverting the male gaze. I think that the idea has gotten across in this image. The labia lasso is a power I find very disturbing, I don't know why I drew it. The execution of this could have been a lot better - I left it incredibly late to do it which was a big mistake!! I rolled with the pastel colours cause I thought they gave a sense of femininity - sort of emulating the style of some modern cartoon girls & fashions. 

In a way I feel like by making this so sexual in a satirical way it transcends the joke-level and almost makes a statement about female sexuality in itself.

I would have really liked to have investigated the dynamics of women ad sexual subject vs women as a sexual object but I didn't give myself enough time to explore this. I think I could have made something really interesting if I had been able to but |I had no immediate ideas that would have been translated into image easily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment