Tuesday 25 October 2016

An Informal 'Interview' With LuxDelioux

My friend, and burlesque performer LuxDelioux was in town on the weekend so I took the opportunity to ask them a few questions in an almost interview but maybe not quite.

(it was impromptu and I had to type the answers into my phone so answers may be shortened or paraphrased, also my questions were not so well thought through - A point I need to think about for next time)

A: How does performing make you feel?
L: I started off doing burlesque like a lot of people to boost my self confidence so it made me feel really good at first and after a while i just enjoyed performing and being on stage. I did theatre at uni so it made me feel like I was doing something important for my degree. Fuck me it's tiring though.

A: Is there ever a fear you will be objectified by an audience member?

L: Oh god yeah it's happened. I just brush it off usually. I'm aware that I'm up there and there'll always be the danger of that happening. When it's happens a majority of people enjoy what I'm doing for the right reasons so that one person doesn't mean shit. We're all up there getting out kit off, so yeah there is a chance of that happening.

A: (this is on the borderline of feeling like it's actually an academic question but i read a quote saying "as long as I am a sexual subject I am not averse to being a sexual object" how do you feel about that? do you agree or?)

L: I think that depends on the person, everyone works for themselves. If you're up there and you're aware that some people will view you as a sexual object and you're not being hurt by it I guess it's okay? I mean my acts aren't overtly sexual, I do what I do to entertain - not to titillate. I'm here to make people smile and if someone gets a boner I'm not really fussed. People don't generally go to burlesque shows to get off, they go for a fun night out. If people wanted to be turned on they'd go to strip club and If I wanted to get a guy hard I'd maybe be a lapdancer. As long as I don't have to wank someone off I'm happy.

A: How do you think burlesque does or can subvert the male gaze and/or challenge beauty ideals?

L: It definitely challenges beauty ideals as it is an art form that includes every gender, age, race, body type, etc. it's very inclusive and It's one of the only performance industries where everyone is accepted and celebrated.

When people think of burlesque they think of Dita Von Teese or Banbury Cross who are tall, while, slim women but if you go to your local burlesque night there's lots of performers, lots of GOOD performers who defy beauty ideals. High end burlesque (particularly in London) do just want the Dita Von Teese's, and occasionally they'll have like Dirty Martini, who is plus sized but you know she's still beautiful and white. Sometimes people are not accepted in the London/high end burlesque scene because of race, gender etc. Northern Burlesque tends to be better for diversity.

What was the first bit? Male gaze? Yeah, so Burlesque is generally by women for women. Occasionally you get a stag do but they're the nicest stag do's you'll ever get because they know they're going to a burlesque show! I once had a stag do and they were so lovely, none of them tried to touch me or said anything derogatory to me and they were like "yeah good show, well done" afterwards. You rarely get stereotypical hyper-masculine twats and if you do they're usually removed. - If they're commenting inappropriately about the performers etc.

A: Anything else you want to add?
L: If you consider yourself a fan of burlesque go to an actual show. What people think it is like is very different to how it actually is. You think it's all fan dances and sexy ladies (and there are) but you see hilarious acts, horror acts, and all sorts.
I shouldn't really use fans cause I'm vegan but they're third hand.

A: Last Question: Are you okay with this information being posted on the internet & used for academic stuff

L: HELL YE BOI

No comments:

Post a Comment