Monday 2 January 2017

Pin Up drawings!!

I had a pining to do something more illustrative, and also thought that doing this would demonstrate a reflection of other media intended for the male gaze such as pin up art and classical painting.

also it meant my initial sketching stuff didn't go unused, obviously it informed the photomanipulation work I did, but I would like a broader range of work for this project, as then I could reflect different media that was created for a male audience.

To make sure they are obviously pin up related I have actually traced Gil Elvgren drawings, and modified from there. This made things easier as I didn't have to worry too much about body proportions and positioning. Some may call it cheating I call it using my initiative.




I used the same kind of motifs that have been running through the rest of my work. All eyes and vagina dentata's, with some added menstruation connotations all to add to the discomfort for a male viewer.

Kind of thinking I'm going too gory with these pictures? I started off just wanting to do some subtle weirdness but I've gotten a bit over the top with all of this. However I do think these images are still successful in the goal of subverting the male gaze by appropriating media, as at a glance I believe they still look like regular pin ups but it becomes clear that they diverge from male expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment